Monday 25 June 2007

Good Vibrations!.. and some other stuff

Anybody who knows their Landy's will recognise that vibration that comes from a propshaft when one of the UJ's is shot.

After about a year of owning Charlie Camel, we had the dreaded vibrations. On inspection I found that one of the bearing cups had completely disappeared and the "spider" had eaten into the propshaft yolk :-( Oh well, says I, I'll stick a new prop on... which I did. But then after about 3000 miles or so, the vibration started coming back. So I took the prop off and sent it back to the Brooklyn 4x4 who were happy to replace it with another one and send the dodgey one back to their supplier. Now, another few thousand miles later, I got the vibes again!!
I have checked the bearings in the diff nose and the output flange of the transfer box and there is nothing obviously wrong there, so I'm making an assumption that the UJ's in these prop shafts are a bit on the naff side. No worries tho, as they are replacable (P.No STC3407?) . So the weekend just gone, I ended up changing both the UJ's.

I also changed the rear diff flange and oil seal and the transfer box front output flange and oil seal. These are hopefully the last 2 leaks to be sorted on the drive train.

No comments: