Saturday 15 September 2007

Oily bits!

Before we left we had a new gearbox fitted. Since that day what we thought was the Transfer box has been leaking and leaving a steady trail for all to follow. I bought some ep90 when we got here but haven't had to top it up much so assumed that the leak looked worse than it was.
Well, a couple of weeks ago I finally found the leak! You may remember the gearbox oil saga... well, continuing on from that... The oil that Cape Cod put in was a 75/90 gear oil. It looks pretty much the same as MTF94 which should be in the box, and EP90 which is in the transfer box. And seeing as the transfer box sump plate had always had a bit of a leak I assumed thats where it was coming from. AFT, which is the oil we have in the gearbox now is red... very RED! Yep you've guessed it. The leaking oil is red and must therefore be coming from the gearbox... ARRRGGHHH!!!! So anyway, I bought a litre of AFT a couple of weeks ago after realising this and put the WHOLE LOT in! Yep, the gearbox had leaked over a litre of oil since Calgary! So I bought 2 more litres, but fortunately only managed to get about another 100ml in. Now, those of you that know about these sort of things will know that the only place the oil can be coming from is the oil seal on the main gearbox output shaft. To sort the leak will require removal of the transfer box, which I ain't willing to do at a campsite! So anyway, now that we know where the leak is coming from we will just have to keep an eye on it and keep it topped up until we get to somewhere that can do the job for us, or better still, lend me their facilities so I can do the job myself.
Gearboxes.... who'd have 'em, eh!

No comments: