Saturday 25 August 2007

A lesson in gearbox oils... and another change of plan!

Well, our trip to Land Rover Calgary didn't go quite as we'd hoped, but it wasn't all bad. The engine oil change was done no problem, but the gearbox oil...
I wanted it changed again as ever since we had it changed in Cape Cod, the gearchange has been a bit crunchy. I wasn't 100% satisfied that they'd put the correct oil in the box, so this time I made it completely clear that I wanted MTF94 oil. They came out having changed the oil and said they'd put 75/90 in as MTF94 isnt available in north America or Canada. Thanks to Dave Ashcroft at Ashcroft Transmissions, I knew that if MTF94 couldn't be found, then Dexron 3 would be ok to use, but EP75/90 or or EP80/90 should not be used. The technician at Land Rover had done his own investigations and found that Land Rover had released a technical bulletin about MTF94, but decided that the 75/90 would do the job as thats what they use here. I must admit, I do wonder how many gearboxes get changed here unneccessarily. We had a good old chit chat with the technician and I told him I wasn't happy with the oil he'd used as having seen the job card I realised that they had used the same oil as Cape Cod had used. So they agreed to put Dexron 3 in for us... and hey presto, smoother gear changes!
Anyway, while we were there we got talking to a chap called Rich, originally from York, who works there and is an avid Landy Fan. He organises off road jaunts into the Rockies for their customers and asked us if we'd like to tag along! Errrr... hello, is the pope even a smidgen catholic? Yes, we'd love to tag along thank you very much! So we are now back at the Travelodge as we need to be at Land Rover by 7:45am for our free breakfast :-)
I doubt that there will be any seriously strenuous off roading, after all most of the vehicles there will be shiny LR3's (Thats a Disco 3 to us), LR2's (Thats a Freelander) and Rangies, all very new, all very shiny, and probably all destined for a life of grocery store trips and school runs. But it will allow us to explore some tracks that we probably wouldn't find otherwise.
We'll report back as soon as we can with pics, but for now here's a couple from Glacier National Park.
A real life Glacier... although its getting smaller every year. They reckon in about 20-30 years time there will be none left here :-(
I apologise for this pic, Jen made me put it in... something to do with our good friend JU!

Nice weather we had!

4 comments:

Margery said...

OK it's official - I AM NOW MAD - ok jen, i know I have been for some time something to do with a mad daughter pehaps! But this time it's with envy! Those pics! scotland to the power of heaven alone knows what!!!!! Enjoy our off roading! Just don't dent ant nice new landy's, they might not understand the "Charlie, Bertha and George" philosophy of life as a self respecting Land Rover!!

Nigel said...

Glad you got the oil sorted - I was begining to worry for you for awhile there - thought I might have to fly out with some ;o)

Even better that your schedule allows you to just "pop along" with the LR guys - nice to have that freedom eh.

And as for "bubbles not bombs" - laughed, and laughed - soooooo you Jen.

xxx
N

The Farter said...

Geez you lucky buggers. Even the technical details of a gearbox oil change are rivetting, (can I be that sad?) Calgary and Jasper,
Google Earth has some beautiful pictures, but you have to do it in person, while the rest of us have to sit here in our armchairs drinking our beer and wine. Go for it you lucky twosome.

Unknown said...

I have some MTF94 here, I can pour some into a jiffy bag and send it out to you if you like ;)