Thursday 31 May 2007

Power to the Landy...

Decisions, decisions, decisions....
What should I do about our battery situation? At the mo we have just the one big battery in the battery box. I think its a tractor battery or something like that, but i'ts a big puppy! But having drained it a couple of times using the winch I think it would be a wise idea to replace it before we go. I also want to set up a dual battery configuration so that the starting battery never gets flattened by accessories.

Currently my line of thinking is to have a standard sized 069 or 072 battery for starting, then a hoochy muma Intimidator battery for accessories and winching. The Intimidator battery's seem to be fairly new in the UK, not heard much about them up until recently, but they sound good. They use something called absorbed Glass Matting technology instead of the normal lead acid stuff. They also have good deep cycling ability meaning that they can be charged and discharged many times without affecting their overall charge holding ability, again unlike normal lead acid batteries. Plug it all together with a split charge and a twin battery monitor and we should be away!
However, if I want to do this then I will have to re-wire things like the winch as they are wired up to the starting battery under normal circumstances.
I have already "aquired" a Voltage sensitive relay from a club member. He works in the marine industry and seems to know his stuff, so I think I may ask his advise again... look out Matt, loads questions coming your way!

No comments: